Author Topic: Carefully select your media  (Read 408 times)

Offline JesusChrist

• Reputation Power: 11
  • JesusChrist is on the verge of being accepted.JesusChrist is on the verge of being accepted.JesusChrist is on the verge of being accepted.JesusChrist is on the verge of being accepted.JesusChrist is on the verge of being accepted.
  • " Super Admin "
    • View Profile
Carefully select your media
« on: October 11, 2018, 04:10:40 PM »
The glorious Shemale Warrior and I talked last day about why it's important to filter out bad/lazily made games, movies, music, and other things as much as you can. I wanna have a thread recommending people to stop consuming crappy media, I'll explain why, and if anyone cares or is alive here anymore you should post your opinions.

He implied that no matter what you consume, you won't be affected by it and you have to put no effort into selecting your entertainment. As an example he said, "I won't become a serial killer because of GTA V". Now, I know that this is true and it's also the reason for why I, and many others, actually love playing games like GTA V, Tribes, Need For Speed, Resident Evil. You get to do in these games what you don't get to do in reality, that's the whole point. Experiencing something that would be difficult or stupid to experience in real life.

The thing is though, that to realize what would be stupid or not to imitate in real life takes some effort. You need to build your 'filter'. In this case, you know the consequences of killing, it's a very obvious and easy thing to dismiss. But there are some other things that are not so obvious to detect, small things you don't consciously notice. But let's assume that you have a strong filter and you mostly know what's bullshit or not, that no matter what you do you think the same.
 The thing is through, you have a limited amount of time and only one life. Even if you were to play Angry Birds and you'd be smart enough to not throw birds at pigs in real life, if most of what you did was playing angry birds, your brain would be adapted to that. Your brain would be better at playing angry birds, it would think more about angry birds, and it would have less time for other games that might be better.

The only reason you can play Tribes and midair people in the face is because you played it multiple times. Next time you play FPS games you might prefer something like Tribes. You wouldn't disc people in the face in real life, but you are predisposed to playing more games like that or have ideas related to it.

So next time you play 10 terrible games in a row, your standards will be lower. You predispose yourself to accept playing more bad games. The next game that you'll play that's just mediocre will actually seem great compared those terrible games, but that same game would be mediocre if all you did was mostly play great games. If those games had stories where the protagonist is a pussy, you'd become slightly less disgusted with men acting like pussies. Next time you wanna think about games, those 10 games will be in your mind in some way.
Knowing that your life and memory is limited, and your thoughts are made up of your experiences, what you consumed, and all your circumstances, why would you consume something dull or stupid? Don't, because you'll become like that. Thoughts come from everything around you, behavior comes from thoughts.

As a final example, I play GTA V because I get to do what I wouldn't do in real life without any consequences and I also experience the perspective of (fictional) gangsters. This is something that I don't try to stop from getting into my brain because I think it's a well-made game that's worth remembering. I like having a reference of virtual crimes, solutions, nice landscapes, fancy cars, etc. in my brain. It was all crafted and mixed up such that it offered an exciting and mostly believable experience, without trying to subconsciously push some hidden agenda on me. But... I wouldn't watch 5 gangbang videos per day because I don't want to constantly think about gangbangs and have the image of gangbangs every time I watch a romance movie or see a woman. So I get to choose in the end where my future ideas will come from.

There's already not enough time to consume everything that's exciting, great, and funny, so don't waste it by filling your mind with utter crap if you can avoid it, no matter how good you are at spotting nonsense. You might not be affected by bad media in major ways, but you could've consumed something better to improve your future thoughts. At least make use of that if you don't agree with me in my other points. And yes, I realized I wasted half an hour writing this shit on a forum about Tribes 2 to make like 5 people read it, but if it helps you it wasn't wasted. Plus, it was a good reminder for me, too. I will probably not argue with anyone on this topic as it would waste time, but I will read your replies.

tl;dr
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/psychoanalysis-unplugged/201708/your-memories-make-you-who-you-are

"JesusChrist, he dies for your sins"

Offline Blakhart

• Reputation Power: 14
  • Blakhart has a powerful will.Blakhart has a powerful will.Blakhart has a powerful will.Blakhart has a powerful will.Blakhart has a powerful will.Blakhart has a powerful will.Blakhart has a powerful will.
  • Newborn
    • View Profile
Re: Carefully select your media
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 12:23:51 AM »
The thing that I am impressed with in the electronic games arena is how quickly many games come and go, soon fortnite and pubg will be blase and the followers will be looking for the next new kick spoon fed to them by game media. Reminds me of the time when wow and bf42 stole the T2 player base and the servers went empty. Who plays those anymore? That being said, CS1.6 still has zillions of player as does Q3 and other ancient titles. T1 and T2 still have at least some players, the most diehard hardcore too-stupid-to-join-the-herd and dl the latest fad players kind of people.

Offline JesusChrist

• Reputation Power: 11
  • JesusChrist is on the verge of being accepted.JesusChrist is on the verge of being accepted.JesusChrist is on the verge of being accepted.JesusChrist is on the verge of being accepted.JesusChrist is on the verge of being accepted.
  • " Super Admin "
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 01:41:05 AM »
Yeah, it's also why I say that after such a long time, for a game that's not counter-strike or something, it's really great to STILL have some players left. I'd like to have more but I'm sure 9/10 games completely die after such a long time.

This game could maybe be revived in some way but only if you make it look incredible to steal away the attention from everyone who's playing battle royale games. Even then, maybe tribes does not fit well into this age of streaming games. You'd need to add some streaming bait to it. It just feels better to play than to watch it, so that could also be a factor. Maybe at some point there will be another craze where old-school games are popular again.
"JesusChrist, he dies for your sins"

Offline Silent Eagle

• Reputation Power: 2
  • Silent Eagle has no influence.
  • I'm MA or die material
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 09:26:53 AM »
The thing that I am impressed with in the electronic games arena is how quickly many games come and go, soon fortnite and pubg will be blase and the followers will be looking for the next new kick spoon fed to them by game media. Reminds me of the time when wow and bf42 stole the T2 player base and the servers went empty. Who plays those anymore? That being said, CS1.6 still has zillions of player as does Q3 and other ancient titles. T1 and T2 still have at least some players, the most diehard hardcore too-stupid-to-join-the-herd and dl the latest fad players kind of people.
its simple why old games still have most of player base like Q3 or CS 1.6 or Unreal Tournament cuz they made in times when games were made for players not for rich fucks like now and nothing beats more than old loved classic game

u guys wanna know why i chose Tribes 2 rather than new ones today or any FPS arena game because this game became my home even if most player base does not want me in here
even if i still not pro in here i still play it
Hate me but i really dont care

Offline Heat

• SCP Admin
  • Super Admin
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • Heat is working their way up.Heat is working their way up.Heat is working their way up.
    • View Profile
    • BamaPride.com - Roll Tide!
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 09:28:16 PM »
Ahhh.  BF2 was the one that took me away from T2 for any real length of time(years). There was a free game that started as a Quake Mod called Urban Terror.
x

Offline Blakhart

• Blakhart has a powerful will.Blakhart has a powerful will.Blakhart has a powerful will.Blakhart has a powerful will.Blakhart has a powerful will.Blakhart has a powerful will.Blakhart has a powerful will.
  • Newborn
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 01:08:56 AM »
The bf42 and wow era saw the precipitous drop in player base at mv and hv, not to mention the shifter server. That started the dark ages, where v2 was the only action in town for years. Kata, anyone? Then goon haven came along and resurrected T2. It'd be fun to have 64 playas once again, where I'd swagger up to a vpad and find every vehicle has been taken. Good times!

Offline Silent Eagle

• Reputation Power: 2
  • Silent Eagle has no influence.
  • I'm MA or die material
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 06:40:13 PM »
Ahhh.  BF2 was the one that took me away from T2 for any real length of time(years). There was a free game that started as a Quake Mod called Urban Terror.
know that one u can still play it there more of these games like Six guns,Tremulous,Open Arena
Hate me but i really dont care

Offline Blakhart

• Newborn
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 09:40:30 PM »

Tags: