Author Topic: Video card longevity  (Read 766 times)

Offline Blakhart

• Reputation Power: 14
  • Blakhart has a powerful will.Blakhart has a powerful will.Blakhart has a powerful will.Blakhart has a powerful will.Blakhart has a powerful will.Blakhart has a powerful will.Blakhart has a powerful will.
  • Newborn
    • View Profile
Re: Video card longevity
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2018, 09:30:09 PM »
Awesome, that thing will play any 98 era game just fine. The gf2 400 is a bit faster than a gf4ti in just about everything, and should play t1 and t2 just fine. I've had several 400s and they're very good cards for the time. The original Athlons were ground breaking cpus, think they had a good deal more floating point power than the Pentiums of the time, and kept on beating Pentiums in fp calculating even after the p4. I started out with a K500, then a 650, then a 750 and gave the k650 to Rusty. The k1000 were kinda rare, I might have only ever had a k950, but it's still out there at Rustys place. The computer fleamarkets and HAMfests were and still are the places to go to get good deals, 911 ruined it in Omaha cuz they used the ng armory for the monthly pc fleamarket as it was cheap to rent, after 911 no more public access. Out of all the 98 series I liked Millennium Edition the best, ran all the games and was more stable for me than 98SE. Still have all the disks going back to 98 original flavor. They have a massive pc fleamarket in Indy, maybe I'll try there for the next new build.

Then DIT Computers popped up in Omaha. They had fleamarket surplus prices on brand new stuff. me and Rusty rolled in one day and they had brand new AthlonXP chips for sale cheap, as well as the brand new XP operating sys for $100, and I was looking for a new build. Got a XP1600 and a copy of XP and Rusty got XP and we were off, wondering how DIT could sell so cheap. A Via mobo, some audigy card, and several burned up XP cpus later I was ready to try Intel. Good thing DIT had a no questions asked return policy, I misplaced a hsf clip thingy or cracked the core (remember exposed cores?) on more than one XP chip and fried it instantly. Well, the OS disks were OEM wich splains why they were so cheap, so no help from MS or anyone else if there was a problem, just replacements from DIT. Years later I found out how DIT sold so cheap, my boss at the time at the ISP had worked for DIT as a net admin and Mr DIT himself was related to some Asians way up the food chain in PC parts distribution and got seconds and cut rate deals all the time.
The first time I retired, I was gonna build boutique gaming rigs as hobby and cash cow, but reality set it rather quickly. DIT was the cheapest parts source I could find for any pc parts in the volume I anticipated, for example a brand new P4 3GHz proc was about $300. Well, in the mail one day i got a flyer that had a Dell or some other OEM offering entire pcs, with os and everything, including that same 3GHz cpu, for right around $300. My boutique builds would start at $700 and go from there so I knew there was no way they would sell. I was crushed but I built a 3GHz p4 rig anyway, gigglebite mobo, fast ddr, fast satas, and eventually a friend sold me the ATI9700. You mentioned using cpu hsf units on grafix cards, a friend who ran a pc repair shop in Omaha hooked me up with some artic silver epoxy and a solid copper low profile cpu hsf that almost covered the card, I poxied that sucker on that card making sure the agp slot cleared and that thing ran at room temps under load.

Rusty swore by those zip drives, I never used em. Didn't they eat disks at times?

Offline ZurkinWood497

• Reputation Power: 1
  • ZurkinWood497 has no influence.
  • An Ol' Whipper Snapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2018, 08:38:34 PM »
Strange enough, the drivers for the MX 400 straight from nVidia's site are very much broken. I have then installed properly, but nothing's detecting the card at all. S:T runs in software, but that's it. Driver, NFS III, both don't detect the card at all, like there's no drivers. And the R-Click menu on the desktop is glitched; If I highlight an icon, the text disappears. I'm going to take this night to look into it (And install the sound drivers,) but it's strange. Given, the drivers are dated 2005, so there's no telling what incompatibility issues are happening with it and Win98FE... I just remembered today that I have a Riva 128 in my closet, but I really don't want to use that. It's just the MX's drivers that are a pain to get. Some dated from '00 would work perfectly, I'd expect. If I can get a hold of ME, the more the better. But didn't they have to be validated by MS servers then? I know XP did, not sure on Win2k, ME, or 98SE. All I have is 98FE.

The Radeon 9700's were killer cards. When I got my Win2k out not too long ago, I fired that thing up using DVI for video, and cranked T2 to 1080p, everything maxed. And, wouldn't you know it, I had a solid 60fps. On a Win2k computer. I remember when I got that computer from an old dentistry (Completely underused there, lol,) I hopped into the BIOS settings and saw they had OC'd the poor P4 to 3.2Ghz. I took it to 3.4Ghz before I got the 9700, hah. If you wanted a computer down here, you went to Sears. Either that, or ordered via catalogs. Speaking of catalogs, I have two Sierra catalogs from the late 80's for computer hardware and games that was stuck in a Kings Quest I box I bought, some fun reading there. I go through them and see games like Stellar 7, Silpheed, and Rise Of The Dragon, and it brings back memories. Y'know what, I'll attach a picture of that catalog.

I've never used a ZIP drive before. This is the first one I've owned, so I have no ZIP Diskettes to use on it. The friend that had it before doesn't remember anything about diskettes getting eaten in it. Who knows, I'll have to get some Diskettes and try it out. And if it works out well, I might as well use them for actual storage on the thing. It'd beat putting my files on a CD to copy them over, that's for sure... Normal diskettes I have staking taller than my house, but the majority of those are the 720KB versions.

The files are too large for attachments here, I'll just upload to google drive and link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1x3zcfNo6LzD2-jiP6ot3-fZUMtmtBbeL
-Time be with You-

Offline Blakhart

• Reputation Power: 14
  • Blakhart has a powerful will.Blakhart has a powerful will.Blakhart has a powerful will.Blakhart has a powerful will.Blakhart has a powerful will.Blakhart has a powerful will.Blakhart has a powerful will.
  • Newborn
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2018, 11:21:16 PM »
When i see a issue like that it was always no mobo drivers present when trying to install the vid card driver. My regime for system software install goes thusly; OS, OS updates/service packs, dx whatever (dx11, 12), mobo chipset drivers, vid card drivers, nic driver if needed, drive check, reg cleaning, defrag, install utes and games. Are you getting drivers for 98? Xp and nt/2k drivers aren't going to work in 98.

Fun was installing 95 via floppies, dunno how many it took but it was a pain. LOL@the first time seeing 95 boot.
2k is an ossum os, paring the services to the bare minimum would get system ram used by os alone to 64mb, really low especially compared to today's os. 2k aka NT5 had/has issues with usb and acpi but otherwise ran great and was my only smp aware os for a long time. If you have more than one cpu, 98 will only see and use one. Lol when I first retired I would install some hardware, paste an os on the drive, and run some benchmarks. Then try another hardware config and see if it benefited any. Maybe 7 os installs in a day. I thought I was cool when i had two drives with page files on each. I got to the point I memorised the entire 98 and me activation code for a while there, just like when the first cracked corporate xp came out; fckgw rhqq2 8tg6w yxrkt  2b7q8 holy crap that's the entire string off the top of my head and I haven't used it in years lol.

Win7 is NT6.1 lol. Just get to a cmd prompt and type ver.

On drivers, WHQL is the Micro$oft driver testing thingy, M$ would run the driver on multiple weird systems, from servers to workstations to whatever and try to make the system puke, if the driver was problem free, they stamped WHQL on it and sent it back to the driver maker for release. I try to only run WHQL drivers if I have the choice as they might be more reliable.
On the zip drive thingy, as I recall they not only ripped the disks, they threw them across the room on eject.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 11:27:50 PM by Blakhart »

Tags: